Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Commentary

I read Sandra's blog first, as I am really interested in her question! She talked about the differences and advantages of conventional farming as compared to organic farming. She essentially concluded that both sides have their drawbacks and that neither method is really better than the other. I didn't previously know that organic farmers often use large amounts of their natural pesticides, as that could indeed be just as harmful as chemical pesticides. It makes me rethink seeking out the organic foods at the supermarket! However, I still wonder about the different growing methods affect consumer health.

In Rick's blog, I read about combustion reactions in car engines. I like how he managed to connect chemistry with physics in his explanation of the Otto cycle, which I before only vaguely understood. Now, instead of a hazy visual idea of car engines, it's very concrete. I also learned that, even with ethanol, gasoline in cars is incredibly inefficient at only 20% efficiency. That's crazy. I can see that his research will tie into mine as we discuss better ways to save and produce usable energy.

On Ryan's blog, he talked about growth hormones in cows and their effects on the animals. Apparently, the hormones used in commercial cows were only lightly tested by the FDA, leading to doubts from critics about their safety. The hormone, rBGH, may lead to death in cows from mastitis or a higher risk of cancer due to heightened insulin growth factor-1. Moreover, it creates a dependence that, after injections stop, lowers the milk production below original levels. The questions about safety for cows makes me wonder about the true safety for humans!

No comments: